Tuesday 16 July 2013

Should be playing - Steam Sale Edition 5

Number three: The Secret World

Sure, the MMO landscape is extremely crowded and if you’re the type of person who can only play one MMO at a time and doesn’t enjoy them unless you get crazy entrenched this isn’t the one I would suggest going to. But that said, TSW is a unique and finely crafted experience that makes the bold move of trying to bring the oft overlooked potential of the modern fantasy genre to the MMORPG. When it works ... it works. Any fan of Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu, or Mage the Ascension is doing themselves a huge injustice by not spending at least some time in this world.

Number two: Sleeping Dogs

I’m not into GTA. First, I find sandbox off-putting because there isn’t enough to push you forward and the plot always seems to distract from the feeling of freedom. Second I find it hard to relate with drug dealing and big pimping and primary motivation for a protagonist. Sleeping Dogs is an open world sandbox game that solves all these problem for me; the plot moves forward based on the choices, the side quests are very structured, and the protagonist, an undercover cop dealing with questions of loyalty as he takes on the gangs he grew up with ends up being believable while inspiring empathy. It’s a great game you could lose a lot of time to. Well, given the number one game for today, I guess that statement is relative...

Number one: Skyrim

Like I just said, I don’t do well in the sandbox. With elder scrolls I would always end up spending a few too many hours on the wealth of side quests and be board out of my mind by the time I did the plot, never finishing the game. So I went in to Skyrim with a simple mindset; I would only do side plot until it became even the least be repetitive and then just burn though the plot to say I beat it. This happened around ... oh ... hour 60. The world of Skyrim is rich beyond compare with even the most basic side quests often holding mystery and secrets for anyone invested enough. Combat is basic but serviceable, and the skill system is fantastic. If locked in a room with a computer and only one video game for a month, it would hands down be Civ 5. But if that wasn’t an option, Civ 4. But if I couldn’t have EITHER of those, it would totally by Skyrim.

Honrable Mention: Mark of the Ninja

I never got around to this, but it has more 10 out of 10s from review sites than the average game of the year winner. Worth trying out at such a low price.

No comments:

Post a Comment