Tuesday 10 June 2014

E3 - Nintendo Direct

No real predictions here ... I just expect a very Nintendo showing of Nintendo things.  The ND is too short to talk about NFC, so I think this will just be a showing of games.  Let see what we get
12:01 – Looks like they are starting with Smash, because obviously
12:02 – Everytime I see this game it looks better and better
12:03 – I really like the idea of playing a Mii in the game, this is a fantastic option
12:04 – Wow, that’s an impressive amount of custimztion, with 3 “classes” and over 20 movies to chose from when making a Mii fighter
12:05 – Reminding us that the 3DS game is almost out reminds me how horrible an idea it is to put this one on handheld first.  I think it will hurt the overall appeal of the gamel; 3DS should have been a companion app released on the same date, with its own standalone content being much less of a focus.
12:06 – That said, the 3DS games looks fantastic and I’m almost sure to pick it up
12:08 – Oh Reggie, the only person on the Nintendo team I really don’t like.
12:08 – Amiibo ... “Nintendo: we suck at naming things!”
12:09 – Skylanders and Infinity have exclusive Nintendo contact tied to NFC Nintendo figures.  That’s the biggest news of E3 by a huge margin.  Wow.
12:10 – They are Japanese arcade cards for the Wii U.  That’s a fantastic idea ... in Japan.  Harder sell in here in NA seeing we don’t already do that.
12:11 – Luigi gonna EAT YOUR SOUL
12:12 – Reggie pulling the nostalgia strings ... right in the feels ....!
12:13 – Yarn!  Only Nintendo could get me excited by showing me real life yarn
12:14 – Yoshi’s Woolly world, a distinctly Yoshi game using yarn as a mechanic backdrop.  Looks absolutely breathtaking.
12:15 – The game play is showing off ways to use yarn “eggs” to explore and open up new areas, looks fantastic
12:16 – Two player co-op, to be honest I think that’s a necessity on a home console at this point from Nintendo.  Good to see that it’s there
12:17 – Can I say that Yarn Yoshi on Wii U looks about 10 times better then Sack Boy on PS4 without sounding like a fanboy?  No?  Ok, I won’t mention it then
12:18 – OMG, Captain Toad mini game from Mario U 3D is getting a standalone game on Wii U.  My wife is going to freak out.  Absolutely fantastic way to leverage a formula that just ended up working better than anyone expected
12:19 – Did they just do a robot chicken type animation to make fun of the Mario Universe Plot?  What am I watching!  That was like ... completely out of nowhere.
12:20 – Zelda is so self-aware.  Hearing him talk about what makes Zelda great and the mistakes they have made is bang on.  Few game developers are as honest
12:21 – First shot of Zelda Wii U, looks great but too soon to call.  He’s talking about a truly open world Zelda.  Risky.
12:22 – The grass is moving and the world seems alive.  A monster just showed up and the animation is outstanding.  Interesting art style ... like Windwaker on steroids.  I think it’s going to be polarizing.
12:23 – Pokemon remakes, we knew this was coming and we knew they had to show it.  It looks like pokemon.
12:24 – Another Robot Chicken, then into bayoneta 2.  Nintendo’s lost guardian!  Looks like it’s still a thing, and visually looks great. Oh wow, it’s being packaged with remake for the first game with Nintendo them skins.  You had my interest, now you have my attention
12:27 – Hyrule Warriors ... I’m not a fan of Destiny Warriors, but I’m still interested in seeing what this game has to offer.  I think it’s a formula that could benefit a lot from the game pad.
12:28 – Spilt screen with one player using the game pad and the other using the TV!  Why can’t you do that on Mario Kart 8.  WHY!
12:30 – Wow, everything they are showing is Q4.  What a great year this is going to be.
12:30 – Showing a gamepad focused Kurby game called Rainbow Curse for 2015.  Looks pretty meh to be honest
12:31 – Showing a trailer for a mech based RPG.  Kinda blowing my mind.  I think it’s Xenoblade
12:32 – Graphically this looks better then should be possible.  I’m afraid it might be CG, but if not, the Wii continues to shock me.
12:33 – Xenoblade Chronicle X – yeah, I kinda want that
12:33 – A Mario creator where you can make custom Mario NES levels.
12:34 – OH!  Looks like you can change between New Super Mario brothers graphics on the fly
12:34 – This really isn’t my type of thing, but I can see a lot of interest in this, and I’m sure I’ll end up owning it thanks to my wife.
12:35 – Talking about “Split toon”, which looks like a paint based FPS
12:36 – It looks very interesting and very Nintendo, but it’s entering a crowded market and needs to have a budget price I think.
12:40 – Sure, this game looks neat.  But not 4 minutes neat.  It’s also not what you should have ended on.  Does anyone feel a JUST ONE MORE THING coming on????
12:41 – Not sure we need a recap of a 40 minute event.
12:42 – ONE MORE THING!
12:43 – What am I watching?  Is this a cartoon?
12:44 – Link and Pip fighting in an anime
12:45 – Oh ... just a new fighter in smash.  Sure, whatever.
12:46 – Oh snap, Maymato has the last word, but just to tell us to keep watching.
All and all this was an very strong Nintendo Direct.  Everything they showed was fanatics, coming soon, and presented well.  I don’t think they showed enough, and I think the new Zeldia is going to be a bit polarizing, but I’m personally very excited to own a Wii U right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment